Our state-of-the-art CNC cutting machines and our proprietary techniques for G10 machining
Finding a consistent, high-quality supplier for machining G10 sheet, rods and bars can be difficult today. Many shops claim to have the capability, but are unable to produce the quality you require. JMJ Profile produces quality G10 parts for our customers, time after time. All our machines are in-house CNC machines, and we employ techniques we have mastered that are up to 3 times faster and more efficient than traditional methods. We can cut large G10 sheets with the highest accuracy expected in production environments. JMJ operates High Speed 120 K Multi-Spindle drilling machines which accurately produce parts to very tight tolerances. We also have 6 High Speed Multi-Spindle Routers which produces parts of the highest quality, to demanding tolerance specifications, quickly and efficiently.
JMJ Profile Tolerances for Routing
- Tolerance .015 to .125 Diameter Cutters
- Minimum Radius .0075
- High Speed 14 to 60 K RPM
- Control Depth Milling +/- .002 or Better
- Panel Thickness .002 to .750
- Panel Size 4 FT X 8 FT
JMJ Profile Tolerances for Drilling:
- High Speed 120 K Multi-Spindle CNC Drilling machines
- .005 to .281 Diameter
- Larger than .281 diameter will be Routed
- Tolerances are +/- .002 or better
- Multi-Head Control Depth Drilling Tolerance +/- .002
- Maximum Panel Size 4FT X 8FT
- Thickness .002 to .750
The equipment we use is current up-to-date, state of the art CNC equipment, but it’s the experts at their helm who have produced superior parts for our customers for decades. We use our in-house machine shop expertise to run CNC cutting machines that cut G10 with some of the cleanest edges in the industry. Our customers appreciate tight tolerance and clean edges on their finished parts for easy finishing and for ensuring proper fits.
G10 CNC cutting is a cost effective process and should be considered for any production environment requiring a sturdy material with great physical properties. We’re always concerned about giving our customers the best value and strive to use every ounce of material possible. A properly machined part producer will provide superior parts and minimal scrap. With over 10,000 square ft of dedicated machining area, we not only meet our customers’ G10 machining needs, we exceed their expectations.
JMJ provides superior G10 machining to the following industries:
Electronics Industries, using G10 materials include the following:
• Circuit boards for computers
• Circuit boards for video systems
• Circuit boards for printers and other electro-mechanical devices
• Housings for electronics, communications equipment, network devices
• Automobile electrical parts (e.g., stereo system components, onboard electronics)
Medical device industries, using G10 for:
• Electronic medical equipment (e.g. IV monitoring machines)
• Hematological/oncological electronic equipment
• Diagnostic instrumentation and equipment
Military communications and electronics needs such as:
• Military communications equipment for ground-based or airborne military units
• Military radio systems
• Military electronic circuitry systems (e.g., radar, satellite or anti-aircraft communication systems)
• Defense electronics components
• Aircraft electronics and onboard communication systems
• Ground control navigation systems
• Aircraft emergency locator transmitters
• Satellite communications equipment
G-10 has been used in the aerospace industry for many years, as well as in electronics in general. The recent popularity of G-10 has been due to its amazing mechanical strength and resistance to heat.
Superior G10 strength and electric properties
G10 is a glass fiber reinforced polyester resin composite, that has superior (non conductive) electrical properties and machinability. G10’s offers superior physical properties such as high strength, high stiffness, exceptional temperature stability and low thermal expansion. It can be vacuum impregnated with special resins and epoxies, and then machined or cut into a variety of products. Its versatility is unmatched. It is commonly used in printed circuit boards, or “PCBs.”
G10 is difficult to machine however because of its high stiffness and density, wreaking havoc on drilling and routing equipment, when not handled properly. Though it can be machined using standard tooling such as CNC mills with robotic machining software, it takes a real specialist to understand how to do it best so that the material properties are not compromised, and also so that raw materials are not wasted.
FR4 – Remember the “FR” is for its Fire Retardant capabilities.
FR-4 is a high-temperature ceramic fiberglass material commonly used in a wide array of applications that need extra protection from heat or fire. FR-4 has good thermal shock resistance, electrical insulation performance, mechanical strength, and has a high impact resistance strength. FR-4 is used in many electrical insulation applications, and in terminal boards, where heat buildup may lead to overload, spark or flame. G-10 is a glass fiber reinforced polyester resin composite, that has superior electrical properties and machinability. They are typically used for electric and electronics equipment and machinery and electrical sub-station enclosures, and parts. These are not interchangeable however though if you ask an engineer what is the difference between FR4 and G10, some might have a hard time explaining it. FR4 usually can be safely used as a substitute when G10 is specified. But the reverse is definitely not true. You should never use G10 as a substitute when FR-4 is specified.
Material descriptions for G10 usually report it as being “heat resistant” and “abrasive resistant” and this is not necessarily the whole story. These terms are not universally applicable, and they refer to different mechanical and physical properties. In some cases, heat resistance is an issue of surface finish, in which case a predetermined level of machinable material surface will be specified as part of the project.
A few important properties to remember for G10/FR4 include
• High dimensional stability
• Excellent electrical properties
• High impact resistance
• Excellent corrosive chemical resistance
• Good abrasive resistance
• Very low moisture susceptibility
• Can be machined with precision to exacting specifications
• FR4 – fire retardant grade of G10
What are thermoset materials?
Thermosets – also synthetic set polymers – are man-made materials that retain their shape after heat and pressure are applied. The resin is mixed with a catalyst to harden or cure creating a unique molecular structure. The amount of catalyst and time it takes to cure the material determines how hard the resulting material will be. Thermoset materials are not recyclable, unlike other plastics commonly used.
Garolite, Bakelite, and Micarta are common names you may encounter when searching for or researching G10 for your project. Garolite is the most common material name used for G10. Micarta is typically a paper, linen or canvas or other fabric in a thermosetting plastic. Bakelite was the first plastic made from synthetic components and was used in things like telephone handsets, and radio knobs, and came of age during a boom in US manufacturing for automobiles, electric components and appliances. Bakelite was popular during the early 1900’s because of its non-toxic characteristics and low cost. It became popular again in the 1950s because it could be sanded and reshaped. In addition to being used for knife handles, Bakelite can be used for all types of projects from machining custom grip panels to scuba-diving knives to firearm grips.
G10 FR4 (Mil-I-24768/27) can be machined into a wide range of shapes and sizes and JMJ Profile can do it with tight turnarounds.
Our G10 components machining is among the best in the industry. With over 25 years perfecting our craft as G10 machining experts we have a reputation for superior quality.
Because precise tolerances on G10 can be the difference between a perfect fit and one that fails, we are committed to our reputation of quality and precision at JMJ Profile with each component machined. We have extensive experience in supplying the demanding industries that require exacting standards. We understand that a part’s failure in the field can mean the difference between life and death. So we are committed to making sure our parts are always the highest possible quality, that go above and beyond specifications alone.
Exacting design tolerances on any G10 component are essential. Why quality matters.
Our quality control systems and procedures are certified to meet ISO 9001: 2008 standards. We machine G10 dry, which means there are no wet lubricants used to reduce friction, and potentially damage the electrical insulation value of the material. We have special proprietary techniques we have developed over the years, to work with the materials this way, and this lets us provide a higher quality part than most other CNC plastics machining companies. Making use of our OGP Smartscope, we employ strict quality control measures on parts, so our customers know their parts will be reliable and meet specifications in the field.
Leading the way in composite machining as an American company
JMJ is constantly striving to improve our business and our processes. As a leading composite machining company in the United States, we continue to push ourselves to develop an even better end product. Our experience and expertise can be applied across board. We have the expertise, equipment and experience to be the best at G10 parts with our precision engineered, high-quality components that we manufacture right here in West Berlin, New Jersey. We are very proud of our “Made in America” products, and enjoy being the “go-to” place for companies in the United States that need G10 parts, made in the USA.
Why you need a partner like JMJ Profile for your machined G10 parts needs:
• Expertise – we have over 25 years of experience as G10 machining experts
• Quality – high-quality precision machinery and people dedicated to completing your project on time and at a reasonable cost.
• Precision – we take pride in producing components that meet or exceed tolerances
• Knowledge – with our expansive knowledge of G10 and FR-4 materials, we will continue to set the bar high with our quality and precision machining of our customers’ G10 and FR-4 Parts needs.
• Understanding – our drive to fully understand exactly what customers need. We will work with you to ensure your specification is complete.
• Dependability – our customers rely on JMJ Profile to get it right for them the first time. We’re very proud of the work we do for them, and often surprised by their appreciation, and humbled by their trust in us. We strive to deliver their parts on time and within budget.
• Reputation – our reputation is built on our ability to finish parts with perfect fit and finish.
• Great Customer Service – we take pride in providing quality G10 components with a commitment to provide the best customer service around.
Please contact us for more information or to discuss your next project. We look forward to helping you!